We are registered Legal Aid solicitors
While Legal Aid is still available for representation in family cases, its allocation over recent years has been drastically restricted. Unfortunately, today, even if you think that you will have Legal Aid eligibility, it may not always be the case.
In fact, following this restricted access to Legal Aid the majority of solicitors now no longer include it within the services they offer. Higgins Miller, however, is different and we are still one of the UK’s few Legal Aid Solicitors happy to undertake family law work that is funded by Legal Aid.
If you believe that you may still have Legal Aid eligibility for your family case there are a number of Government websites that explain all the terms and conditions that apply to such cases.
We would strongly advise that you study these websites before you contact Higgins Miller so that you are fully aware of all the restrictions that may apply.
Also listed within these website links is access to a number of sample letter templates that you can freely use in order to obtain evidence of previous incidents of domestic violence and child abuse from the Courts, Police, medical, Social and Support services.
Please remember that it is most important you should study the relevant information and obtain evidence before you contact Higgins Miller. As registered Legal Aid solicitors and with this information to hand we will be able to help and advise you far more efficiently and we will be in a better position to ensure that you achieve the results you are hoping for.
- For parents requested to attend a meeting regarding children being taken into care by Social Services and for parents involved in Public Law Court proceedings, Legal Aid will automatically be provided. For other cases, Legal Aid is provided on meritDetails of family law cases where Legal Aid is available. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/444189/scope-family-proceedings-laspo.pdf
- Details of documents that provide sufficient evidence for domestic abuse (schedule 1) or child abuse (schedule 2). http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/1237/schedules/made
- Details of the Legal Aid Agency guidance on evidence of domestic and child abuse. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/672143/evidence-requirements-private-family-law-matters-guidance-version-8.pdf
- Sample letter templates you can use to obtain evidence of domestic abuse and child abuse. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/sample-letters-to-get-evidence-of-domestic-violence
- Sample letter templates that can be used by professional organisations to obtain evidence. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/legal-aid-cases-of-domestic-violence-and-child-abuse-letters-for-professionals
- For parents requested to attend a meeting regarding children being taken into care by Social Services and for parents involved in Public Law Court proceedings, Legal Aid will automatically be provided. For other cases, Legal Aid is provided on merit. Here is a formal eligibility assessor. http://civil-eligibility-calculator.justice.gov.uk/
The Legal Aid Agency will require you to produce documentation to verify your financial position. This could include:
- Your last three month’s bank statements for all accounts that are in your name (even if dormant)
- Your last three wage slips
- Proof of benefits
- Proof of rent or mortgage
- Proof of childcare costs
You may also be asked for additional documents or asked to explain unusual transactions on your bank statements.
Ask for our advice
Confirming whether you are eligible for Legal Aid can be rather confusing, which is why, as Legal Aid solicitors, we are always happy to speak to you over the phone to see if you might be eligible and to advise on the documents you will need in order to support your application
Call us now on 0161 429 7251 or contact us via email today
Get In Touch
We are a firm of Stockport Solicitors specialising in divorce, matrimonial, family issues and children disputes. Based in Stockport but covering the whole of England and Wales, we offer a friendly but robust and practical approach to your case.FIND OUT MORE
LEGAL AID RELATED SERVICES
We are a firm of Stockport Solicitors specialising in divorce, matrimonial, family issues and children disputes. Based in Stockport but covering Manchester, Cheshire and the whole of England and Wales, we offer a friendly but robust and practical approach to your case.